Sunday 9 November 2014

Packing for Asia

Packing. Always such a challenge. How do I fit my clothing for three weeks, the gifts for the children in the safe house and for my friends, and all the things I want to take for the children in the slums into that 1 suitcase and that measly 20kg allowance?

I fit as much as possible into my hand luggage, and squeeze and shove objects into every nook and cranny of space. I am so excited about every single item, and I am not willing to leave anything behind.

I am of course most excited about the children's presents. For Johnnie I have some beautiful artist's pens and a very detailed colouring book. And for Esther there is a pink tea set, with a teapot that sings cute songs and that speaks in a very proper voice: 'Shall we have some tea?' I can't wait to see her face when she hears it.

Eventually I accept that my suitcase is full and I weigh it and weigh it, hoping each time that it will weigh a little less than the 27kg the scales tell me it weighs. It doesn't.

My friend Fabiola and I pray over it, asking that somehow, I will be allowed to take everything with me. I decide that if necessary I will jettison the sweets at the airport, and decide to wait and see what happens. Somehow, I have a feeling that all shall be most well.....

At the airport my suitcase is passed without comment. A 'Heavy' tag is put on it. But I am not asked to pay in anything. With a sense of being looked after, I breeze my way through security.

Interestingly, before I reach my final destination of Phnom Penh where most of the contents of my suitcase are going, I take 4 flights on smaller planes with Bangkok Air, and with Angkor Air. As I queue for check-in I pray, and feel again that strong sense that all is well. I am reminded that I am His child, a princess, and i hold my head high. On the other side of the world Fabiola and Jeremy are praying too - I have sent them a text to tell them I am in the queue. And everywhere I am treated like royalty, with smiles and courtesy, and no one tells me I am not allowed to take all that weight, even though they comment that my suitcase is very heavy! I arrive gleefully overloaded with all the sweets and toys and gifts I wanted to bring. Thanks be to God...

No comments:

Post a Comment