Sunday 18 November 2012

Cambodia Trip - Sunday, Day 7

So it is the end of Operation Justice for November 2012.

It was sad saying ‘Goodbye’ to all the team members, and yet again I was left thinking how funny it is that just 10 days ago we would have passed each other in the street without a second glance, but now we are really sad to be parted from each other. There is something about being out on an extreme together that forges bonds more quickly than normal. 

The team members who were flying out from Bangkok left at 09h00. The rest of us went to church. What a privilege to share fellowship with part of the Cambodian church in Poipet. Participating in worship in Khmer was particularly moving. Of course, I couldn’t sing in Khmer, but I could certainly join in the proclamation of God’s goodness (the words were translated into English on the screen). For the sermon we were given earphones so that we could listen in to one of our interpreters translating for us. Straight after church the rest of the team left, in order to take flights leaving from Siem Reap. I went for lunch with Malina and Andrea and the rest of the long-term staff. We went to a Western restaurant at the border, and I had a pizza, but with spicy Thai chicken on top – so it was a compromise of sorts!

As we came out of the restaurant the border kids came running; they had seen us through the window of the restaurant and were waiting outside. Quick hugs and the last of the chocolates were dispensed, and then we went back to our hotel. I collected my laptop and went off to Destiny Cafe, where I intended to spend a quiet afternoon writing up my notes from this last week.

However, this idea was quickly sabotaged by a cute young boy, who came over to see my photographs. After a while I got talking to Andrea, and while I was doing this, he found a game on my Facebook page – which he then, of course, asked to play. I couldn’t say no to that sweet and expectant face, and so I lost control of my computer for a couple of hours. I ended up helping him play all the way up to Level 12. Those of you who know me well know how much I dislike games. You also possibly know that no-one ever gets to play games on my laptop. But yeh, I not only allowed this young fellow to play; I even assisted him! Eventually we reached a Level where we would have needed to buy some ‘tools’ to be allowed to continue; at this point I put my foot down and said ‘No more!’. Which is how come I am now finally writing this update! *

Betty offered to take me to get some supper, but after a week of eating mainly rice, the pizza has turned out to be more than enough food. Hours later I still feel full! I will probably treat myself to a coconut juice before bed. And I most certainly intend to have an early night for once!

* What I didn't know at the time was that I would not only let this youngster use my laptop; Craig and I would also end up sponsoring his education. It was an appointed and important time, that afternoon of gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment