Sunday 28 October 2012

Horses for Orphans, Brazil - Day 7


This morning we sleep in and get up in time to go to church. It is great to be in church in another country, and in another language and yet to find things in common. It is a moment of the English church connecting with the Brazilian church. There is a guest speaker, and the service is lively. Even though we don’t understand much of what is said, we are able to get some idea of the message. Afterwards there is prayer ministry. I take Bruno up to the front with me and he receives prayer.

After lunch we head off to the waterfall. A number of the boys have asked to be baptised, and Mel and Emma and Julie and Kate will be baptised too, along with them. For Julie and Kate, this is the fulfilment of a dream they have treasured for a long time.  Originally they had wanted to be baptised in the South African sea, like their father. But since they heard about Brazil, and more particularly, about the waterfall, they have spoken of being baptised here. Previously they had asked their father if he would mind very much if they were baptised by Richard and Ingela while they were in Brazil and he has given his permission for them to go ahead, but I miss Craig very much as I watch this significant event in their lives.

Earlier in the week we were given an enormous Jackfruit. Amazing! It has a strong smell, and I have a slight prejudice against the idea of eating it, but Ingela tells us that it is one of her favourite fruits. And Welliton’s eyes light up at the very mention of the word ‘Jackfruit’.

So after English, Welliton helps us cut open this peculiar fruit and he shows us how to eat it. It tastes a little bit like banana, and I decide that I do not like it. The girls do not agree, and tuck in with relish. But the Jackfruit is enormous – far too much for us to eat. Welliton is delighted when we offer him some and he sits with a half in his lap, digging out the fruit and eating with relish. His faithful little dog, Nina, sits by his side, to my amusement, sharing in the feast. I guess the animals around here learn to eat whatever they are given.

I find myself wishing it were possible to photograph this moment in natural light. I would take the image of Welliton eating Jackfruit and enlarge it to poster size and simply entitle it ‘Enjoyment’. I have never seen a better description of this word. He is such an expressive boy. Full of enthusiasm and energy, he rushes through his days. He is quick and energetic and strong. It is exhausting watching him and I wonder how he manages to run so much in this heat.


During the night there is a commotion on our veranda. I jump up and try to see what is going on. It is the cows - come for what is left of the Jackfruit. There is a lot of arguing about who gets what and cows run up and down for ages. In the morning, there is nothing left at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment