Tuesday 30 October 2012

Horses for Orphans, Brazil - Day 9


This morning I awaken to a cacophony of happy bird sounds. Suddenly I realise why we have seen so few birds – it is far too hot in the middle of the day. So I throw on some clothes and head outside, camera in hand. Mel joins me and we walk towards the arena in search of parrots. Suddenly we see a pair, but they fly away in the direction we have just come. We rush after them, and Reginaldo points them out to us – posing prettily on a Bougainvillea bush against the blue sky just as if we had arranged a photo shoot with them!


I go down to the arena to help with the horses and discover a special treat waiting for me - because there is some spare time, I get to play with Zagero, a big, gentle, sensitive Lusitano. It doesn't take long for me to discover that here is yet another one to love, and I take him in. I suspect that he finds me rather boring right now. I apologise, telling him that I need a bit of time to find my feet and feel confident with a new horse. He doesn't mind my chatter, and seems quite happy to plod around with me.

Back at the house for God Time, I can't keep the smile off my face. What is it about horses that makes me so entirely happy?

In the afternoon the older boys do Horse Agility. It is funny - in the beginning they seemed a little unsure about it. But now they have embraced the challenges and Mel is able to make them harder and harder. Horse Agility, done well, requires a lot of focus and connection. This is good for the boys and for the horses, getting them to pay attention to detail and work with precision.

At 18h00, as usual, we have English. And afterwards, we celebrate Weverson’s birthday. We do not have a birthday cake, but we do have some English sweets! Each of us has a chance to share a thought or a comment with him. I mention how much I appreciate his gentle heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment